Talk at Health and Wellbeing at Work Conference, NEC, Birmingham March 6th 2018. My key themes are:
- ‘Saving Normal’ and watchful waiting in the immediate aftermath of a disaster.
- Critical Incident Stress Debriefing is unproven and may be harmful.
- The dangers of trauma focussed CBT/EMDR when a person does not actually have PTSD
- Daring people to gradually do what they did before – resetting the alarm (amygdala)
- Poor recovery rate in IAPT for treating trauma responses 10%
- Ubiquity of rules of thumb for treating trauma victims probably leads to an almost universal low recovery rate
- Dr Mike Scott